Bloom prenatal classes are taught by trained midwife Kama Lee Jackson and cover coping through contractions, the birth partner’s role, interventions, place of birth, the postpartum period, and more. All classes are guided by the following philosophies:
- Informed choice – You have the right to make your own healthcare choices based on information given to you and your own experiences.
- Every labour and birth experience is personal and unique – What makes sense for one person might not for someone else. There is no one ‘right’ decision that fits everyone.
- You are more than your pregnancy – As an experience, pregnancy is the sum of many parts and not just about your physical well-being and that of your growing fetus are essential, a woman’s emotional, mental, and social well-being all play a critical role in a healthy pregnancy and postpartum period.
- Village of care – Your birth partner is a key part of the labour and birth process. We pay special attention to their feelings, concerns, and role during labour.
- Reeds in the wind – Labour and birth are often unpredictable. We help you prepare mentally and emotionally how to go with the flow and be a ‘reed in the wind.’
For the complete curriculum and to stay informed of any upcoming classes, please visit www.bloomtoronto.ca